Visit URL: GetACoder
I must say I haven’t had much own experience with GetACoder. When I first found it, I already was too busy and wasn’t looking for extra freelance work. I registered an account just to take a look around and did not like it too much.
The script looked similar to GetAFreelancer and Scriptlance, but seemed a bit more confusing and the forgotten password function was not working. There were not many projects either.
Returning to this site today after a couple of years I see some of the problems remain, but some things have improved a lot.
I rare hear freelancers talking about GetACoder so I thought it’s still not very active site. However, look at their browse projects page – there are about 50 new projects posted every day! Certainly this is less than the giants Scriptlance, GetAFreelancer, Guru and RentACoder, but it’s still pretty good.
Now look at the number of bids per project – very often they are less than 10. Looks like we have found a decent site with slightly less competition between the freelancers. That could be a golden mine for you.
Fees, commissions and conditions
The fees are quite high. They take 10% of the bid amount + $5 fixed fee on each project. This probably keeps many freelancers off. Premium members (who pay $8 per month) are free from the $5 fixed fee and have to pay “only” 10% of the project amount.
They take 5.9% + $0.45 fee if you choose to withdraw your funds by E-gold. For Paypal the withdrawals are free. Unfortunately there is no other withdrawal method, not even check! Another problem with the payments is that you can’t get out less than $100 – so if you work on small projects you may have to wait until you accumulate funds.
– Good amount of projects. Although it’s not as active as the biggest sites, GetACoder offers a lot of new projects every day.
– Less competition – there are less providers than on most of the other sites. Well, this is mostly because of the disadvantages of course.
– Premuim membership grants access some extras like HTML and logo templates, portfolio samples directory and fonts
– Too high fees. They are still lower than the fees on RentACoder (except on the very small projects), but on RAC you get what you pay for. I am not sure why you have to pay so much on GAC.
– Only two withdrawal methods. That is really crazy. How can they not offer at least cheque or bank wire? Not everyone has Paypal or wants to use E-gold especially for 6% fee!
– Minimum withdrawal of $100. I don’t understand this as well. Why you cannot withdraw $10 – both Paypal and E-gold have no problem with small payments.
Other than what is said above, I noticed GetACode have the same freezing policy to accounts with negative balance like on Scriptlance (see my Scriptlance Review for more details).
I’ve seen various feedback about GAC on the Web – from “very good” to “horrible support”. Some of the feedback is outdated however – people who claim there are no contact details on the site are wrong – there are several phones and faxes on their “Contact Us” page.
I am not really sure if this site is for you, but if you look for some alternative of the most popular sites, GetACoder seems like one to consider.
Filed under: Finding Freelance Jobs